What is Neuro Linguistic Programming or NLP?
Neuro relates to the nervous system through which experience is received and processed through the five senses.
Linguistic is about language and non-verbal communication systems through which neural representations are coded, ordered and given meaning.
Programming is the ability to organise our communication and neurological systems to achieve specific desired results.
NLP consists of a series of models, techniques and strategies for influencing the way we think and the results we achieve. It enables us to identify the thought processes, behaviour and language we use and how we can bring about a positive change in ourselves and others. It was developed in the 1970s by Richard Bandler and John Grinder.
Its aim is to better understand the way our brain (neuro) processes the words we use (linguistic) and how that can impact on our past, present and future (programming).
We can change the way we think, change the way we feel and change the way we live our lives. A desire to change and a willingness to learn new strategies of dealing with our thoughts and thinking patterns is all we need. Consequently, NLP strategies are now used to aid success in many areas including sports, business, personal change and performance enhancement.
NLP is a way of obtaining the best in yourself and others. You can remove anxiety, improve your relationships and become more creative. Creating differences that make the difference in your life.
So do you answer “yes” to any of these questions?
- Have you been passed up for promotion?
- Do you want to make a career change but are afraid to take the first steps?
- Are you continuing to stay in a failing relationship for fear of being on your own?
- Do you lack the confidence to start that new hobby?
- Do you suffer with a phobia that is negatively affecting your life?
- Are you suffering with bullying in the workplace or at home?
- Do you need to make lifestyle changes to improve your physical or mental health but are struggling to take action?
- Are you enjoying a few too many glasses of wine?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, then Neuro Linguistic Programming could be what you need to make those necessary changes.
What conditions can NLP help with?
By developing a new model for living your life, NLP can be used to help clients whom are suffering from some of the following problems:
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Bereavement and loss
- Obsessive behaviours
- Panic attacks
- Low self-esteem and lack of confidence
- Lack of assertiveness
- Unhappiness at work
- Unhappiness in a relationship
- Unhealthy eating and lifestyle
- Parenting issues
And all you need to start this talking therapy is a desire to change and a willingness to learn.
How can NLP help me?
NLP can offer a number of successful outcomes for clients that engage with this therapy:
- Reducing anxieties, fears and stresses
- Eliminating phobias
- Achieving career goals and balancing career changes
- Enhancing presentations and performance
- Improving self-confidence and self-esteem
- Successful weight management
- Smoking cessation
- Positive parenting